Outwardly it is often less expensive to hire an independent Caregiver from an ad or even from an employment agency, but ultimately it could be the most expensive decision you have ever made.
While there are many good, independent Caregivers there are also risks involved.
- First of all, this person will probably not be bonded should any of your valuables turn up missing
- They will also likely not be insured for liability within your home. If the Caregiver is injured while in your employ, you would be liable for medical care and any disability
- Furthermore, if the person is not reporting their income, you may be held liable for payroll taxes by the government. As well, you could be liable for unemployment benefits should you ever discontinue your relationship with that Caregiver.
- In addition to all this, you would have the responsibility of finding a replacement if the caregiver gets sick or otherwise cannot be there for you.
- Finally, there is no guarantee that they are properly trained to provide professional, trustworthy service to you or your loved one. At Akin Care, this is provided as part of the caregiver’s employment by us.