Why In-Home Care?
Home care is the oldest form of healthcare – and it is also the “newest.”
There is significant evidence that in-home care is less costly than other forms of care, and that it is the most satisfying form of health care available.
- It is delivered at home. There are such positive feelings that all of us associate with being home. When we are not feeling well, most of us ask to go home. When we are feeling well, we want to be with the people we love in the home we have created.
- Home care keeps families together. There is no more important social value. It is particularly important in times of illness.
- Home care services keep elders independent for a longer period of time. With some assistance, elders can thrive longer and continue to be engaged members of our families and society.
- Home care promotes healing. There is abundant evidence that elders heal more quickly at home.
- Home care is personalized care. Home care is tailored to the needs of each individual. It is delivered on a one-to-one basis.
- Home care involves the individual and the family in the care decisions. The elder and their family are taught to participate in their health care. They are taught how to get well, and how to stay that way.
- Home care reduces stress. Unlike most forms of health care which can increase anxiety and stress, home care frequently has the opposite effect for the client and their family.
- Home care is one of the most effective forms of health care. There is very high consumer satisfaction associated with care delivered in the home.
- Home care extends life. A study by the U.S. General Accounting Office has established that people receiving home care tend to live longer and have a better quality of life. Home care helps not only add years to life, but “life to years”.
- Home care is the preferred form of care, even of individuals who are terminally ill. There is a growing public acceptance and demand for palliative and hospice care, which is the home care for individuals who are chronically and terminally ill. Akin Care specializes in both.